A recent PR Daily article suggests that the same reasoning behind why a company’s brand image is important to their success holds true for each of us as individuals as well.
“Personal branding is how we market ourselves.”
The article argues that “without a solid brand, you lose visibility and become overlooked.” With millions of Americans currently unemployed no one can afford to be overlooked in the job market!
The first step to identify a few things that establish the backbone of your brand:
- Define Yourself – What are your unique skills, experiences, and values? What makes you different?
- Determine Your Audience – Who are you trying to reach?
- Establish Your Message – What are you trying to convey?
The next essential step is to implement these tools:
- Social Media – The internet is forever, so be careful what you post! For your personal brand you want to make sure you have a social media presence but make sure what is on your Facebook or LinkedIn account is in line with the personal brand you are looking to portray.
- Tagline – What’s the one line that people should relate to your name/brand?
“Personal branding yourself will give you the unique opportunity to share your story.”