26 health departments have jurisdiction over office based surgery – the most common specialties being pain management, plastic surgery, and GI.
These 26 health departments include:
- New Jersey
- New York
- North Carolina
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
Accreditation by a 3rd party is the most common way to satisfy office based state regulations.
Q: How would my state know if I am accredited by a 3rd party?
A: Some states require accreditation to be filed with them or to be registered through the state. For those states where jurisdiction is unclear it is at the center’s discretion as to the amount of risk they are willing to put their business and employees in.
Q: Why accreditation for office based surgery?
- Fulfilling state requirements
- Expedites 3rd party payment
- Favorably influences managed care contract decisions
- May favorably influence liability insurance premiums
- Enhances community confidence
- aids in professional staff recruitment