In response to the Affordable Care Act, all states must declare to HHS how they plan to comply with this new regulation; Federal Exchange, Partnership Exchange, or State-Based Exchange.
Default to Federal Exchange
These states have indicated that they will default to a federally-facilitated exchange rather than planning their own model.
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
- South Carolina
- New Hampshire
Planning for Partnership Exchange
These states indicated they will partner with the federal government to operate an exchange.
- North Carolina
Declared State-Based Exchange
These states plan to establish their own exchanges.
- Active Purchaser – the exchange set up will be with selected health plans and/or negotiate premium process with health plans
- Clearinghouse – the exchange contract with all qualified health plans
- Those without one of the above indicated have not chosen which route to go yet
- Oregon- Active Purchaser
- California- Active Purchaser
- Nevada- Clearinghouse
- New Mexico
- Colorado- Clearinghouse
- New York
- Vermont- Active Purchaser
- Connecticut- Active Purchaser
- Rhode Island- Active Purchaser
- Massachusetts- Active Purchaser
- Maryland- Clearinghouse
- Hawaii- Clearinghouse
- West Virginia
- New Jersey